Thursday 15 November 2007

Takashi Taro: Secret behind names.

Since I born onto earth, I was the hope and pride of Mr. J. W. Lim and Mrs. F. Y. Lee – grandparents of mine but deceased few years before I was born. Born on the middle of month November, I've been given name as Lim Daniel by my father because he likely used English but my mom want me to have a Chinese name.
Reason why my name is Lim Daniel rather than Daniel Lim because it more like an Englishman (e.g. Lee Ryan of English pop boys band – Blue). My dad used to learned in English school (around year 1950-1970, government and private schools used English as primary language).
On my first month of myself as human, my mom given a Chinese name, Lim Fu Hao (Ch. S: 林富豪; Py: lín fu hao) meaning 'prosperity'. That time, I was living in Brickfields where my father worked at nearby lodging hotel.
2 years later (1990), my family moved to my grandparents' house and live with my uncles but my third and forth uncle worked in Japan while my second uncle worked as chef in Micasa Hotel, Jalan Tun Razak. In 1991, my brother was born and given name as Lim Darral. Sometimes my father would say that “it's better if putting Darren or Daryl or Daryal).
After I went to kindergarten, I realised that my books, equipments or stationaries sometimes written Daniel Lim and sometimes Lim Daniel. In primary school, my registration was Lim Daniel but my name tags were Daniel Lim or just Daniel.
Primary 3, I always thinking why Malays or Indians' name were BIN or BINTI some person and SON OF or DAUGHTER OF some person. In Primary 5, teachers lazy to called Chinese students' name (i.e. Yun Kheng, Hui Jing, Yue Loon, Wei Mun), so teachers called their family name (i.e. Chooy, Chin, Chong, Low) and I didn't escaped from it too. From that time onwards, for my classmates that know me in previous classes, they called me Daniel and those who know me that time only called me Lim.
Primary 6 (1999), when I knowing about Chinese name, I put Lim Chee Hong (Ch. S: 林志康; Py: lin zhi kang) – means ambitious and health, which only my only best friend knows it. When I finished my primary studies, he moved to Kedah and my Chinese name unknown by other people. On the same year, I started to learn about Christianity from Mrs. Rose Yan, my class teacher on that class.
When I began to study in Hulu Kelang Secondary School, my registration was as Lim Daniel too but all my books, stationaries and equipments were written Daniel Lim. In Form 1, I also introduced myself as Daniel Lim. However some teachers also called Chinese students' family name. I also competed in Language Week for short-stories writing, I competed using Daniel Lim. Since that year onward, I widely using Daniel Lim. I also started to wear cross necklace on that year.
Form 2 (2001) was when I have gastric and sometimes I easily get sick. In a week, I will get sick twice and getting worsen until I need to skipped school and received warning letter. Some elders in the village said that because of spiritual crash and some said was normal for maturing youths. Spiritual crash was referring the 'prosperity' has makes me lack of health. Chinese old word says, “too prosperous (too rich), body may get ill” (Ch. S: 財多,身子弱; Py: cai duo, shen zi ruo). I then suggested to my mom to changed my Chinese name to Lim Chee Hong because my brother's Chinese name was Lim Chee Weng (Ch. S: 林志穎; Py: lin zhi ying). My mom then re-corrected it in our family's family book and my health began to get better.
Form 3 (2002), I began to wrote any school's official forms – my religion as Christian due to my father's identity card written his religion as Christian although I never attend any church services. Teachers also getting fewer that called Chinese students' family name and same with my classmates. We started to call their full name (i.e. Lin Cheng Soon, Edward Ong, Chang Choy Yeen). My brother's Chinese name also changed in his last character from [穎 ying] to [永 yong] due to very hard to write. But his pronunciation still as Lim Chee Weng.
Form 5 (2004), many Malay classmates used short from of their names (i.e. Nurhaslinda – Lynn; Nurhafizah – Apis; Mohd. Hafiz – Fez; Mahfuzah – Moja; Sulaiman – Leman; Farhan – Pa'an; etc), so they can no need to called their names in full and more close. Another class (5 Science 1), have a stable as 4C which stands for 2 Chan(s), Chin and Chooy. My classmates suggested me to use Danny as my short form name but I rejected because many Malay singers also used the name.
I looked on my name and separated it to Dan and Niel. Niel maybe sounds good but it may cause people thinks that my name was Nielson. The only left was Dan and I used it. In order to prevent confusion (because Dan in Bahasa Malaysia means 'and'), I converted it to Dent as it pronunciation also same as Dan.
At the same year after graduated from secondary school, Taro was used as my secondary name (or nickname). On 2005 – after the establishment of Sky God Team, the -ro family widely adopted (i.e. Taro, Pyro and Hiro). Taro also a Japanese name which I later add the family name and became Konichiro Tarozuki.
Few months later, I realised mistake of the name Konichiro Tarozuki because no such input in Japanese. I began to look for replacement especially the family name which later I adopted Takahasi (Ch. S: 高橋; Py: gao qiao) and Tenshi (Ch. S: 天使; Py: tian shi). Through combination, it became Takashi (Ch. S: 高使; Py: gao shi) which bringing the meaning of 'Highest Angel'. I retained Taro (Ch. S: 太郎; Py: tai lang)as my name, which means 'first born son' [exact as my status in family as the eldest son]. In all, it became Takashi Taro and used as secondary name and also in cyber world to keep Daniel from continuous insults by people in Kuala Ampang.
In my family, my parents often call me Ah Boy (Ch. S: 阿; Py: a). It is my pet name until few years after moved to Kuala Ampang, my neighbour's new born child named Daniel [most probably heard from my friends that always came to find and called my name loudly]. In that case, my mom given me another pet name and that is San Diego [which Diego in Chinese pronunciation as 'elder brother' (Ch. S: 大阿哥; Py: da a ge)].
When I still doing volunteering works in church, I also obtained nickname 'Webster' due to I always online and make graphics for the church. The church and youth group's logo was redesigned by me. In the church official email, I wrote my name as Daniel L. Webster.
In 2007, my third uncle's son, Danny Lim Jian Hong (Ch. S: 林健宏; Py: lin jian hong) last pronunciation was same as mine. My Chinese name was revised and it were either Lim Jie Kang or Lim Ji Kang because Korean element added. At the same year, The Clan Family of Takashi (Ch. S: 高使家族; Py: gao shi jia zu) was established to gather all people with family name as Takashi.
Conclusions: Daniel Lim is my real name while Takashi Taro is my secondary name. Lim Chee Hong (either revised Lim Jie Kang or Lim Ji Kang) used in Chinese ritual.
Many people claimed that the usage of name Takashi Taro, just a joke of making me into fantasy world and lost my identity. As I said before, Takashi means 'Highest Angel' and Taro means 'eldest son'. It also didn't mean I proclaimed myself as highest angel but it referring to God Himself overhelm on me.
In fact that Daniel (who was also called Belteshazzar) was a prophet of God. I am glad that I also been name as same as his. However, things happened much which the name Daniel been insulted and in order to keep it holy, the secondary name Takashi Taro been used.
Psalm 91:11 - “God will put his angels in charge of you to protect you wherever you go.”

0 comments: